There was a lot of confusion this week as we saw Merseyside and Lancashire head into Tier 3 Lockdown with different policies on whether their gyms could remain open. The government was urged to explain why Merseyside gyms were shut but Lancashire’s could remain open despite both being in the highest Covid alert level.
As of Wednesday morning a decision was made to reopen gyms in Liverpool after the government failed to provide evidence that they should be closed. Local rules will apply if other areas also head back into Tier 3, but it is encouraging to know that we can stay open and support you all with your health and mental wellbeing throughout this time.
As we are currently in Tier 2, we want to assure you that we are still open. We are abiding by the government guidelines and we’d like to remind all members to work with us to ensure we maintain the highest standards so we can remain open.
If you are feeling nervous about coming into the gym here are some statistics that may put your mind at ease.
Out of the 22 million gym visits since gyms re-opened in June, there have only been 78 cases of Covid reported and no evidence that these infections actually happened in the gym.
Prof Jonathan Ball is an expert in viruses from the University of Nottingham. He says that the risk is dramatically lowered through regular cleaning, social distancing and hand sanitising.
“From the data that I’ve seen from Public Health England, I’m not aware that there is a significant hotspot for infections in the gym environment.”
Reminder of the Rules:
- Use the website or the ESPH app to book your gym access. There is a maximum of 6 people allowed in the gym per hour so please be vigilant on your time in the gym and maintain social distance from other members.
- Classes are still running. Numbers are limited to 5 people per class and 7 for cycling. Each member is socially distanced and extra spray bottles and paper towels are available to clean your workout area after use.
- If you don’t feel comfortable coming in, you can still join in from the safety of your own home. Head to FITFOR.tv for all of our classes LIVE and On Demand.
- Masks are not mandatory whilst you exercise but we ask that you wear them when moving about the building to keep yourself and others safe.
- Please use the hand sanitiser on arrival and when necessary throughout your session.
The ESPH team is working hard to ensure it is a safe place for everyone and we will continue to evolve and adapt as regulations change.
Testimonials from members:
“First rate personal, tailored induction. Excellent covid precautions. Couldn’t be safer.”
“An excellent induction session with Max. Impressive facilities. Quiet, and felt covid safe.”
“ESPH has clearly thought hard about how to provide a safe environment for their members. Cleaning kit readily available throughout with physios fully equipped with PPE equipment. Excellent.”